CAFE’ Strategy: Tuning In To Interesting Words

On Frole Island, we use CAFE’ strategies to help us with our reading. Miss Fraser & Caroline conference with us regularly and we set goals for our reading using the CAFE’ menu.

CAFE’ was created by Gail Boushey and Joan Moser as an assessment tool. CAFE is an acronym for Comprehension, Accuracy, Fluency and Expand Vocabulary. You can read more about it here.

We have just learnt how to tune in to interesting words as part of expanding our vocabulary. While we were independently reading during our High Five session, (our adapted version of the Daily 5 – also created by ‘The Sisters’ Gail Boushey and Joan Moser) we wrote down interesting words we came across. Tuning in to interesting words helps us expand our vocabulary during speaking and writing – which makes our writing much more interesting!

Here is Miss Fraser’s Word Cloud of interesting words in our class novel ‘Maniac Magee.’

What interesting words have you found during reading?… at AnswerGarden.ch.

What is the most interesting word you haveΒ come across? Do you know the meaning of these words?

16 thoughts on “CAFE’ Strategy: Tuning In To Interesting Words

1. Dear Frole Island,
    I think the weirdest word I’ve come across is feeble & i have no idea what it means but it sounds cool!
    – Ebony πŸ™‚

2. Dear Miss Fraser and Caroline
    I have been reading my library book which is Magic Puppy by Sue Bentley. Three words I found interesting are willow,fondly and wistful.
    Wistful means thoughtful in a sad way.
    Willow is string.
    Fondly means that someone or something you like very much.
    The one I really find intresting is fondly!
    p.s still reading !
    see you later
    by Jasmine

3. Dear Miss Fraser and Miss Caroline,

Your CAFE sounds fun! I will have to mention that to my ELA teacher. Also, how is the monkey? It always seems like you seem to have a very interesting subject on your blog page. Oh! One more thing; one of the most important words I’ve ever seen is seldom. It sounds like a noun or a verb or adjective, but it’s really used as an adverb. I have never heard of finsterwallies or frogballs. Could you tell me what they mean, please? I’d like it if you would please reply! Thanks! πŸ™‚

See you later,
    Will – A Seventh Grade Techie Kid

• Hi there Will,

Great to hear from you again! Thank you for the compliment about our blog. I’m trying to get into the habit of putting up a new post twice a week. Sometimes I find it a bit difficult because I think a great blog post needs things like photos or movies to help readers stay interested and we don’t take photos of EVERYTHING we do.
      I think your ELA teacher would love to hear about CAFE and Daily 5.
      I like the word ‘seldom’. We discussed that word earlier in the year when we were completing a survey.
      Finsterwallies and Frogball appears in our class novel Maniac Magee. I believe they are both made up words. Finsterwallies is used to describe the nervous feeling a boy has when he is thrown into the yard of a man called Finsterwald. Frogball is a frog used as a baseball! Do you play baseball? Or do you prefer football?
      Thanks for visiting again!
      From your friend Miss Fraser πŸ™‚

• Dear Miss Fraser,

I like baseball, but last year I played Flag Football which is the same as Tackle Football, but instead of tackling you pull a flag from the quarterback. I would love to see all of your posts, but sadly I only have Computers/Technology on Wednesdays and Thursdays and the end of the school year is coming up soon! πŸ™ But I will try to look at your page every so often and maybe blog a little! πŸ™‚ I will ask my teacher for permission!

See you around,
        Will,(From the Techie Kids)

• Hi Will,
          Great to hear from you again.
          I like the idea of Flag Football – it sounds easier and less painful than tackle football. We have a different kind of football here where they tackle the other players to get the ball but they don’t wear the big heavy gear that American footballers wear.
          I can’t believe the end of the school year is approaching so quickly for you! How do you feel about going in to Eighth Grade?
          We would love if you kept visiting our blog and leaving such great comments! You are so much fun to talk to.
          Stay in touch,
          Miss Fraser πŸ™‚

• Dear Miss Fraser,

I will try to blog when I can! πŸ™‚ Your football sounds kind of painful! πŸ™ But anyway I feel pretty confident about going into Eighth Grade!

Glad to talk,
            Will

• Hi Will

Frogball and Finsterwallies were used by Jerry Spinelli in his book Maniac Magee. We are reading it as our class read aloud novel. Frogball was part of a baseball game and Finsterwallies was what you got after you had been in the yard of the Finsterwall house. The Finsterwall place has many mysteries and no-one goes in there even if their last ball is kicked into the yard.

My new favourite word was in Maniac Magee. It is ‘frogable’. I think it means catchable when you are catching a frog!

We are really enjoying Maniac Magee. Maybe you could find it in your library and read it too.

Caroline:-)

• Dear Caroline,

I have never been too interested in the book, but I have been seeing a lot of my friends reading, “Maniac Magee” so I will try it. Especially since a teacher in a foreign country is persuading me! You seem really nice also! I bet your class is glad to have you and Miss Fraser as a teacher. Thank you for telling me about how good this book is. I will look into reading, “Maniac Magee!” Thanks!

Will(From the Techie Kids)

• Hi Will
          I love it when kids are willing to have a go at a book I have recommended. I hope you enjoy it. I know Miss Fraser enjoys Jerry Spinelli’s books. Maniac Magee is the first of his books I have read.

I am a little jealous of you coming into summer. We are heading into winter and I much prefer the warmer weather. Have you got plans for your vacation?

Hopefully you will still have time to drop into the blog once you leave the Techie Kids.

Your fellow reader
          Caroline πŸ™‚

• Dear Caroline,

I wish you a happy, snowy, fun-filled, wintry, season. I will try to get in touch as much as I can over my summer! πŸ™‚ What season is it over there in Australia?

Best Wishes (for the snow),
            Will

4. Dear Frole Island,

The most intresting or weirdest word I have ever heard of is jalopy. The definition is old car:a rickety or battered or old car. It is a car name I have never heard of. Do you have a favorite word you use a lot? There are so many weird, cool, and intresting words.

Tad
    Techie Kids

• Hi Tad,
      Thank you for your comment on our blog πŸ™‚
      I really love the word jalopy! I don’t think it is used often enough. Where did you come across this word?
      I don’t really have a favourite word that I use a lot but I do like tuning in to interesting words when reading and finding out what they mean.

From, Miss Fraser

• Dear Miss Fraser,

Where I came across this word was my friend named Ryan. He is a really big fan of cars. I like cars but, I never thought that people would name their cars some of these silly names.

I noticed that you spelled favorite like this, “favourite.” Is this word spelled differently where you live?

Tad
        Techie Kids

• Dear Tad,
          I must admit, I’m not much into cars but your friend Ryan seems to know a lot about them. How funny that somebody would name their car that! When I first got my drivers licence, I named my little yellow car ‘Stella’. My current car doesn’t have a name though. Maybe you and your friend Ryan can come up with one for me! It is silver coloured. If you search ‘Mazda 6’, that’s what my car looks like. I guess we have different cars in Australia than you do in America, am I right?
          In Australia, we use British spelling. So we spell ‘favourite’ and ‘colour’ with a ‘u’. I think that’s the only spelling differences we have – except for Mum with a ‘u’ instead of an ‘o’.
          Thanks for replying,
          Your friend Miss Fraser πŸ™‚