School: Then and Now

During Family Blogging Month, family members can comment on any post on our blog. We thought it would be a great idea to ask a question to parents and other family members.

After reading Jo’s Grandad’s comment about what life what like growing up (see below) we got thinking about how different school is now compared to when our parents went to school.

Miss Fraser always reminds us that we weren’t even born when she was in Grade Six! She remembers how computers were only just being introduced into the classroom and NOBODY in Grade Six had a mobile phone. Thirteen years doesn’t seem so long ago to Miss Fraser but technology and education have come such a long way since then.

Remember, parents aren’t the only ones who can comment! Do you have brothers, sisters or cousins that have finished school?

What do you remember about being in school? What differences do you notice between school then and now? Tell us about it!

10 thoughts on “School: Then and Now

1. Hello,
    When i was in primary school, things were different from now. Apart from the technology you are privallege to have our school rooms had no heating or airconditioning.
    Thirty seven years ago i went to a school in South Australia, in a town called Loxton, 162 kilometres west of Mildura.(North West Victoria) I remember we used to have to take our own water to school in a eski type cooler for the day. I also remember having daily naps on the floor because it was very very hot.
    Enjoy learning. Its lots of fun.
    Mary ( Annmarie’s aunty )

• that would be really anoying having no air conditioning or heaters. but i wish we could have naps in our class.
      what grade were you in when you were aloud to have naps?

2. Hi Mary

I’m Caroline, Annemarie’s teacher. I started school in Pinnaroo, South Australia, not too far from Loxton. I started in 1969. I don’t remember having to take my own water but I do remember having a sleep after lunch. One of my main memories was growing wheat on cotton wool on different saucers in different places in the classroom to see what happens without sunlight or too much sunlight. Being in a wheat growing area it seemed an obvious activity. Most of my classmates lived on farms. We’re your family farmers?

Thanks for checking out our blog.
    Caroline 🙂

3. Hi Jo,
    Wow, this Blogging malarky is really good!! Even though I am approaching 30, I still act like a big kid, and remember school like it was yesterday!! Although I think school has definitely changed since I was there…there is so much technology nowadays which is a great learning tool for everyone, and Blogging seems to be a fantastic way to voice an opinion to the wider world! It is also a great way for family to keep in touch, and to let others know what adventures you have been on – may be I should write a blog next time I visit Australia!? I can remember when I was young and we didn’t have mobile phones, so when you were meeting friends you could be waiting outside for hours if they were late and you would never know!! I do love my family a lot, and even though they are in Australia, I like the fact I can communicate with them when ever I need to… :). It’s good to share!!!!

Happy Days Australia, from Rich in England (Jo’s 3rd Cousin)

4. Hello.
    I started school in England in 1968. I would pay ‘dinner money’ each week and we would have ‘hot dinners’ in the middle of the day. We would go to the cafeteria, pick up a plate and go along a line. The staff would each dish up a part of the meal on our plate from behind the counter as we pushed our plate along. Sloppy potato, mushy peas, watery carrots with some sort of meat was quite the regular dish. There was no choice and we had to finish it before we were allowed out to play. This was our ‘dinner- time’. We called the night time meal ‘tea-time’.
    When I came out to Australia, I went into Grade 2 and finished my schooling in South Australia. It seems a lot of us bloggers went to school in South Australia.
    Della (Mitch’s Mum)

5. Hey 🙂
    I actually went to Killara back in the day (started Prep in 1997).
    I’m directing a musical for kids at the school (in their fancy new theatre) and I can see so many differences and similarities from then to now.
    Despite the fact that many of my teachers are still teaching at the school there (and somehow still remember me), I remember that there was very limited technology at the school. We used to have to fight over the computer during “free time” because there was only one or maybe two computers in the classroom. Nowadays, most children have their own laptops, Ipads, Ipods that they have accessible to them all the time. Its fascinating.

Becca (Mitch’s Big Sister)

6. Hello Della,

I am one of Mitch’s friends.
    It seems pretty harsh of how they used to dish up food back in those days, I would have rathered bringing my own lunch. Now I know why my nan calls lunch dinner!
    Did you get to bring your own lunch in South Australia?
    Thanks Josh

7. Hello,
    I know what you mean. When my Grandmother was young she had to ride a horse to school. Its quite amazing how much school and education has changed.
    What are your opinions? Who in your family had to ride to school?
    -Luke

• To Luke,
      I think that’s a pretty good story and it would be quite fun to ride a horse to school. My mum would have to walk a really long way to her school most days. Did anyone in your family walk a long distance to school?

From Ethan M

8. hi everyone
    I am 40 years old and when i went to primary school in prep first half of the year we were playing all day i loved it then we got a different teacher and she made us do school work. I was so sad. Back then we never had computers mobile phones or computers games we had to write everything down.